Wednesday, August 26, 2009

More Results Are In

So I was trying to give my mind a break. Since my last consult with the doctor I have been continuing with my weekly blood draws, but not going out of my way to call in to the doctor's office following each lab. My desire was to not hang on every number and just try to clear my mind from all of this hormone tracking until my next consult on the 31st.

I almost made it...until the doctor decided to call me yesterday after my lab draw since she had not heard from me in awhile. Regardless of my wants, the results are in:

July 18th (day of the D&C)- hCG level: 20,000
July 24th- hCG level: 727
July 31st- hCG level: 94
August 11th- hCG level: 16
August 18th- hCG level: 7
August 25- hCG level: 4

Dr. Hart did not like that in the last few weeks the decline has been so slow, but I will take what I can get. Since it has been over a month, and the numbers are now so low, the chances of needing any type of chemo are definitely out the window. Now just comes the agonizing waiting for the levels to get down to zero and remain there for awhile. The verdict is still out on what the oncologist feels the time frame will be for needing the hormone levels to remain at zero before trying another pregnancy.

On Monday I will have another blood draw and meet with the doctor. I am hoping for a 2 or lower ( :

In the meanwhile... I have returned to teaching 5th and 6th period. I never told the students at the end of last year that I was leaving or that I was pregnant...but schools are like small towns and word spreads anyways. Since being back at school I have heard that I am still pregnant (just looking really small for 18 weeks), I have heard that I had a baby over the summer (my body just recovers quickly), and some of them actually heard the real version of the story and know not to ask any questions.

I love spending the mornings with Kaia. We have had two playdates already this week, and one craft morning during which she took the scissors to my hair (I was focusing too much on my craft and not on her wandering mind- good thing it is curly hair, you can barely notice the rather large chunk missing from the front).

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the update Kara, I had been thinking about you.
    much love,
    lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love all of the high school rumors??? :-)

    ReplyDelete